Monday, May 17, 2010

Silent Protest.


When I was a teenager and I didn’t want to go to school, I would silently protest the tyranny of the public education system by getting back into bed fully dressed and refusing to move. My mother would then storm upstairs and slap my butt back out of bed, stuff breakfast in my mouth, and shove me out into the mercilessly cold wilderness of puberty and teenage angst. A decade later I am in bed again employing this age-old tried-and-failed tactic except what forces me out of bed is not my momma with threats of death-in-theory but by the harsh realities of this world with threats of actual death via starvation should I refuse to go to work and bring in the monies. Thus, it is with resolute quiet that I stuff breakfast in my mouth and shove myself out into the mercilessly cold wilderness of adulthood and societal responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some LOVE~ <3