Friday, October 8, 2010

Tomorrow.


Tomorrow is my birthday. But celebration starts today (woot)!
When I was a kid my birthday anticipations were heavily influenced by Tom Hank’s movie “Big” in that I was convinced that the night before my birthday during my sleep my body would grow a couple inches taller, my hair longer, and my brain automatically downloaded with a 20% upgrade in smarts by which I would suddenly be able to trump every spelling, vocab, and math test at school. Every year I woke up a teeny bit disappointed because I felt and looked (and was) exactly the same as last night when I was a year younger. That my body did not respond to this momentous fact of an additional year by transforming itself overnight made absolutely no sense to me, and I would proceed to feel confused and lost, unsure now as a fledgling eight year old how to navigate the world with my sadly outdated seven year old height, seven year old hair length, and seven year old smarts. Five minutes later this fret would be completely forgotten during my parents’ annual birthday tradition of bursting into the room and yelling HAPPY BIRTHDAY at the top of their lungs and grabbing me out of bed to present a special birthday breakfast which would kick-start a truly magical day of cupcakes, presents, cards, and attention overdose.

1 comment:

Show me some LOVE~ <3