Friday, March 11, 2011

Public Recognition.


This is the friendly man behind the counter that always greets me when I go in for my lunch-time Yogurtland fix. In my head I call him the Yogurtlandman. I pay him for yogurt and yogurt makes me happy, therefore I pay him to make me happy.


After a certain point, the yogurtlandman stopped greeting me with "Welcome" but "Welcome back". This was not a random occurance because he'd greet anyone else I happen to walk in with a "Welcome" and single me out with the "Welcome back."
It was strange, but I let it slide.


Then one day after greeting me with my "Welcome back" he said MORE things. Creepy things. Intimate things.


I hate I hate – And oh, did i mention? – I HATE being recognized in public places by strangers. It is absolutely mortifying. I feel like all my secret little habits and likes and dislikes have been discovered and disclosed to the world. I feel terribly and humiliatingly exposed. Admittedly, being the creature of habit that I am, it probably was not entirely hard to single me out (Girl in pink sunglasses, Yogurtland at 12:40pm on weekdays, pays with same red BOA checking card)…but nonetheless!!!

So yesterday I went to Golden Spoon during lunch because I was still too embarrassed to face the yogurtlandman who now knows my name and probably my address and probably everything else there is ever to know about me ever. I was happy to find that none of the goldenspoongirls recognized me. I then popped over to Foreign Exchange for a gander and:

THE FOREIGNEXCHANGEMAN RECOGNIZED ME.

3 comments:

  1. as a former cashier, i loved recognizing my customers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    It's good business for them to recognise clients and be friendly to return customers. Besides, you are so beautiful, they would have to be stupid not to recognise you! Don't get creeped out that he knows your name, just take it as a compliment. You is special!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will have to get used to this when you're a star, Susan. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Show me some LOVE~ <3